Friday, October 10, 2008

Old English Iron Blue Dun











From Trey Combs, Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies (Frank Amato, 1976):

Tail: Golden pheasant red breast feather fibers
Body: Blue-gray dubbing (muskrat) ribbed with oval silver tinsel
Hackle: Natural black or dark gray
Wing: Gray goose or gray squirrel tail

This was Peter Schwab's favorite steelhead pattern. he called it, "the most universally successful fly I have ever seen." For Schwab it was best a clear water summer-run dressing, and he fished it at the exclusion of many patterns he had designed and made nationally famous. (p.95)
note: my example in the photo uses natural gray sheep's wool rather than muskrat.


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Zack Barnett said...

Happy to have found your fishing blog, Andrew. I'm a total amateur. I always feel better when nobody watches me cast or wade or try to set a hook. I'm illiterate when it comes to reading streams. But if you're up for dealing with a hack like me, I'd love to pick up some tips from you once the water recedes...

12:08 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

hi Zack: by all means, let's get away from the computers once the rivers drop back into shape! There are some nice winter and early spring hatches on the Lower McKenzie, so we don't even have to go far from home. Happy New Year & Go Ducks!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home